Site icon worldnews.sotout.com

Asian allies stress ‘critical’ US cooperation as Trump slashes Korea drills

SYDNEY: Japan underlined on Tuesday (Aug 18) the “critical” importance of security cooperation with the United States and South Korea, after President Donald Trump alarmed allies by scaling back military drills with Seoul while hailing his ties with Pyongyang.

Trump abruptly announced on Sunday that he had ordered the Pentagon to scale back “inappropriate and hostile” military drills with South Korea, a day before the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises got underway.

Japanese Defence Minister Shinjiro Koizumi, on a visit to Australia, supported security cooperation with key defence backer Washington and neighbour Seoul.

“As Japan faces the most severe and complicated security environment in the post-war era, the cooperation among Japan, the United States and South Korea is critical to the peace and stability of the region,” Koizumi told journalists.

Trump on Monday insisted he was making the situation “much safer” through his ties with the North’s Kim Jong Un, whom he met three times in his first term but has yet to encounter since his return to the White House.

While praising the leader of nuclear-armed North Korea, he rebuked key ally Seoul for failing to help Washington fight Iran – a war Trump says is aimed at stopping Tehran from getting an atomic bomb.

Pressed about whether Kim had responded to his messages, Trump told reporters in the Oval Office: “Yeah, he has.”

Trump added that the conversations were “very positive”, but provided no further detail.

He then said his ties with Kim have reduced tensions.

“Kim Jong Un has always treated me with great respect,” Trump said. “I understand him. He understands me.”

Seoul’s unification ministry, responsible for relations with the North, said it “cannot verify the specific content of the exchanges” between Washington and Pyongyang.

NO “INTENTION TO ESCALATE”

The 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises with South Korea are designed to prepare for a possible war with North Korea, which decries the drills as dress rehearsals for an invasion.

South Korean officials have said the exercises had begun as planned and that they hoped the personal chemistry between Trump and Kim would bring them back to talks.

Seoul’s presidential office said on Tuesday the drills did not reflect “any intention to attack North Korea or escalate tensions on the Korean peninsula”.

North Korea has not responded publicly, although it has previously voiced anger at the regular joint manoeuvres that take place in the South.

Australia’s Defence Minister Richard Marles, hosting his Japanese counterpart, said Canberra was “very concerned about North Korea’s nuclear programme as well as its missile programme”.

Exit mobile version